Today is my birthday and, somehow, I am now a quarter of a century old (not sure how or when that happened).
I know I have a lot of learning left to do, but in the spirit of birthdays and milestones, I figured I would list some lessons learned that I’ve collected up to this point in my life. Whether realized through personal experience or the wisdom and guidance of those I look up to, I have found all of these to be very true.
So here we go:
1. Lasting friendships are difficult to find. Treasure those relationships.
2. Car rides never have to be lonely when you have good taste in music.
3. If you feel stuck, you probably need to stop, breathe, and listen to what you’ve known all along.
4. Stillness is important.
5. When you go to a concert, don’t take tons of videos. You won’t watch them. Just be present and enjoy it.
6. If you do your best, stay true to yourself, and you're kind to everyone, harsh things that people say about you hold no weight whatsoever. (Side note – never take rudeness personally – it is always about them, not you!)
7. The way you treat yourself will ultimately determine how others treat you as well.
8. Raspberry chocolate desserts can cure just about any kind of heartache. ☺
9. But good friends, focusing on your goals, and staying busy cures it even more.
10. Meditating every day is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself.
11. If you ever lose faith in people, go hang out with a dog.
12. Never let go of your core values and beliefs for anyone, friend or family.
13. Indecision is a decision. (Very cliché, but also very true – just go do something already!)
14. When you feel antsy, go outside! Without your phone. ☺ Yes, really.
15. Tell yourself what you’re grateful for every single day. Put the time aside, say it to yourself, in your head, out loud, whatever you need to do. Just do it. You’ll thank yourself.
16. It doesn’t matter all that much where you are if you’re with the right people. Alternatively, if you are in a beautiful place with the wrong people, it probably won’t be so wonderful after all.
17. It’s fine to give in to your guilty pleasures sometimes. (Go watch that trashy reality show while stuffing your face with Ben and Jerry’s!)
18. Don’t overindulge in the excessive amount of bad news we’re pumped with in modern society. Be informed, but don’t let it affect your life more than it should. The happy stories don’t make the headlines.
19. It’s okay if you don’t have one, single, fiery, burning passion in your life. Dabble and explore!
20. Think twice about spending time with people who make you feel worse about your goals/your life/yourself upon leaving their presence.
21. Find something to laugh about every single day. Not everything needs to be taken so seriously. ☺
22. Have a signature dish you can cook easily and well. (To be completely honest, I’m still working on this one myself…)
23. You can have all the “fun, good times, life-of-the-party” friends in the world, but pay attention to the people who stick around when you need them most. Those people matter.
24. Never lose a childlike curiosity about the things that you find interesting. Being jaded is a terrible curse.
25. Learning your own lessons and taking your own advice can be very rewarding too! ☺